"A life that is not documented is a life that within a generation or two will largely be lost to memory."
- Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

More Trip Pics- Part 1

 A lot of our pictures from our Disneyland trip were taken on my phone.  We finally uploaded them onto our computer.  This post will be mostly full of pictures documenting our trip for journal/memory purposes.  Although there was a lot of sickness it was an awesome trip!


 
 
I took 4 hours after leaving Boise to get out of the inversion and fog.  It would have been a lot faster if we were able to drive at a higher speed. 


Finally clear skies after leaving the inversion behind.  What an uplift after so many hours of driving cautiously along.


The fog in our review.  


Arriving in Reno, our first overnight stop as we headed to California.  It was the cheapest and nicest hotel of our entire trip.  Poor Tyson was about to fall over with fever and chills at this point.
 

 
Entering California.  I told my boys they knew when we'd be getting to California when we went through these checkpoints.  They asked us about produce and where it was from and let us move along our merry way.  We even got to keep our fruit!

 
California, the state where I was born and raised.

 
We stopped at a lookout point along Donner Pass.  As a kid every time we'd drive through here I'd always think of the Donner Party.  I don't know if everyone outside of California learned about them or just Californians because we studied it as part of the history of the state.  A pretty morbid and really sad and tragic story.  It is a beautiful spot though, really beautiful!


 We stopped at Jimbo's Tacos in Northern California for a break.  The tacos are so, so delicious.  The weather was so awesome....like spring weather in Boise.



 
This is the home I grew up in.  It is a little different now.  It seems to have a little less grass and a ton of patio furniture and lawn ornaments in the backyard.  They also took down the fence around our main backyard.  While we lived there we had a tangerine tree, and orange tree and a lemon tree in the front yard.  They cut those down.  Can you believe that?!  Who would do such a thing?  We would make ourselves sick on the juiciest, ripest fruit oranges.  I've never had any better besides the oranges from my grandpa's tree. :)


Central California's winters are not like Southern California.  There is a lot of fog like what you see in the picture.  This is from our drive through the area I grew up in.  Some mornings, on my way to early morning seminary, it would be so bad I'd have to stop at stop signs and listen before I continued since I couldn't see past the front of my car. 



The sign below says, Madera next 4 exits.  That is where I was born and raised.  It's been over 8 years since I've been back since my parents were no longer there.  They moved while I was in college.  I went to church during this trip and it was so fun to see some good friends and familiar faces.
 

 
Tyson resting after we arrived in Anaheim.  Poor guy!  He felt really, really terrible.

 
 The boys and some of their cousins waiting while the parents bought tickets. 




Matt got sick the day after this picture below but when I look at this pic and can see he wasn't feeling so hot that day either. 






 
Kellen was too scared to join in on the picture with Mickey Mouse.  Kaleb was trying to take a selfie with his kindle.  That makes me laugh.  We allowed them to take there Kindles into the park under the strict rule that it could be used for pictures only!
 

Star Tours was such a fun ride.  Kaleb was super nervous at first because he was worried the flashing lights would cause a seizure.  I told him he would be fine and he was.  He loved it!
 


 
The Jungle Cruise was so much fun.  I love the old, original rides.  My kids loved it and our tour guide was hilarious with her corny jokes. 

 
Kellen must see something he likes.
 
 
Teacups...Tyson's favorite. 

 Enjoying a churro.  I've had many churros but something seems extra special about the ones from Disneyland.



The parade was so awesome.  I'd never seen one of the parades on past trips.  They were pretty amazing.  My kids were enthralled.  Matt is sitting next to my brother Eric, his son Royce and wife Laurie.




 
I love this picture.  Kellen was waving at everyone as they'd go by.
 


A Small World still had there Christmas decorations up.  That was a fun treat.  I am really amazed at the intricate details of the rides.
 


 
Konked out!  It didn't take long for the boys to nod off to dream land when we got back from a full day at the park.


I don't remember what this ride is called.  Lets just call it the Mater Ride.  They had some really fun Cars themed rides at California Adventures.


 
Kellen loved to watch the toy soldiers from Toy Story...at a safe distance.




On the last day everyone but Kaleb and I went back to the hotel, either because they were tired or sick, halfway through the day.  Kaleb and I ran around with my mom and dad.  We forgot to take the traditional picture at the entrance of the park as a family so Kaleb and I got one with my parents.  I promise blue was not the coordinated color.  We love BSU but not that much. ;)
 


Kellen's favorite treat.  As a girl I would savor these lollipops and make them last but Kellen finished it in one sitting.

 
 
Matt's awesome souvenir. He was feeling pretty crummy by this point.
 

 


 

 
 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

This was fun to scroll through and read. I'm gonna look up the Donna party, cause I've never heard of them.
Fun to see your old place. It seems a tragedy to chop those trees down.

with Mari van Ormer said...

Awesome pictures! It still makes me so sad that there was sickness, Aargh! But I am glad you still had fun. Disneyland is awesome. I am ready to go back.