"A life that is not documented is a life that within a generation or two will largely be lost to memory."
- Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander

Monday, February 29, 2016

Shaking Off The Dust




The other day in Relief Society I was sitting by a sister who had spoken in sacrament meeting.  She did an awesome job and I told her so.  I asked her if she likes to speak and she said she likes the preparation and study that getting ready for a talk brings.  I can totally relate to that.  I told her it's like shaking off the dust.  We can all be a little complacent in our spiritually study, at least I know I can. I can feel like I've been sitting still, when it comes to my spiritual study, maybe gathering a little dust.  Then your asked to teach or speak and you have to get up, shake that dust off and jump headlong into a gospel topic.  I do love that feeling, shaking off the dust!  She seemed to like that analogy and I hadn't even thought of it until it came out of my mouth and I thought, "Yeah, I like that analogy too."  It makes sense to me since I sometimes find myself experiencing that in my life.

I know there are some people who are great with their spiritual gospel study and that's awesome.  It is definitely something I could always work on and I try to.  Last year I started teaching in Relief Society and that helps me to shake off the dust more often and there is less dust too!  I find myself, listening and reading my lesson at least weekly, sometimes a few times a week, up to the point I teach.  The week leading up to the lesson has more intense preparation as I sit myself down to actually take my highlighting and notes and put them together into a lesson.  It's a great opportunity for me to learn, be spiritually fed and strengthen my testimony. 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm with Hailey. I love the study that comes with talks and lessons. It's heart felt and the best. It's when I learn the most. I need a weekly assingment almost. Great post.