"A life that is not documented is a life that within a generation or two will largely be lost to memory."
- Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Where Do You Stand?

I wrote this post a while ago and never posted it because it wasn't quite complete.  Things have calmed down a bit since then but this is still something that makes me sad when I see it.  And with social media it's easy to see.....

Original Post:

Change, there's so much change and it's happening fast.  Man, the change is just really hitting me.  This world is changing rapidly right before our eyes.  The church and the world are getting further and further apart from eachother.  We knew this would be the case but it still takes my breath away sometimes.  Gone are the days of fence sitting, although I've never been a fence sitter.  It's coming to a point where people really have to make a choice and ask themselves, "What do I really believe?  Do I believe in prophets, seers and revelators and modern revelation?  Do I have the courage to stand with them?"

I know I do.  I always have.  I would say I came to this earth with a desire to believe and things I learned about the gospel always made sense to me.  Spiritually I've always felt that this is the way and I needed to walk in it.

Social Media is an interesting creature.  It is a good thing in many ways and it can also be a difficult thing.

A few days ago it was announced that the church had made some revisions or changes to the handbook. It had announced that children living in the home of two same sex parents would need to wait until they were 18 to be baptized.  I thought about that for a while as I tried to figure out the reason behind this change.  I knew it was an inspired change because I believe in modern day prophets who receive revelation.  After some explanation from Elder Christenson of the 12 apostles it made sense.  The church was doing this to protect all involved.  As much as people scream the opposite this decision was made with the children and families and the church in mind.  The Lord can see well beyond today and has His reasons for guiding his leaders as he does.  I have no doubt in my mind of that.  There is compassion and wisdom in this decision even if others in the world cannot see it.

Facebook has been crazy since.  People are angry, sad, confused, doubting.  It's hard to see.
I expect lots of upset posts from people who aren't members of the church.  But, I have a hard time seeing the things the members put about it.  I understand that everyone is in different places spiritually.  I understand people will have their doubts.  The Lord understands that too and hopes that these people will come to the right sources to try and figure things out.  Sadly, they don't always do so.  Sometimes they will try to inform themselves from bloggers who have feelings of unrest and resentment towards the church and the leaders of the church.
 
It's hard to hear people, members of the church, who have raised their hands to sustain the prophets  speaking of them as if they are part of an govermental organization, overpowering the will of the members to push their own agenda.  As if they are behind the times old men who need to catch up with the world.  As members of the church, in everything we know a prophet is, what his purpose is, how does that even make sense?  The Lord does not change with the pressures of the world and neither will the prophets, because they align themselves with the Lords will.

I wish it was understood, and more importantly, spiritually felt that they don't make decisions based on worldly pressures.  They do the Lord's will.  Any of these final decisions have been pondered and prayed over.  The Lord sends revelation and these leaders do the will of the Lord.  If they were to do anything contrary to his will he would not allow them to remain in the capacity they are serving in.
The eternal perspective seems lost by so many and it makes me sad.  

I pray I will always have the courage to stand with the Lord and the prophets.  I'm reminded of a song from a special youth musical fireside our stake put on when I was growing up.  They used songs from "From Cumorah's Hill." by Steven Kapp Perry.  There is a song in there called "I Never Stand Alone".  It is one of my favorites and the words and imagery are powerful and so applicable today.  We never stand alone when we stand with God.

I Never Stand Alone
Alone I stand,
While all the world around me
Surrounds me
And takes me for a fool.

But I am not
The first to be regarded
As weak and simple-hearted
For choosing to believe
That He keeps watch over His own.

I never stand alone
When I stand with God
And I stand with His prophets.
Wherever I may go,
When I stand with God
I never stand alone.

And so it is
My heart has been befriended,
Defended
By those who've gone before.
Who call to me
Like distant rolling thunder,
"You cannot be outnumbered!
You're standing with the Lord."
And He keeps watch over His own.

I never stand alone
When I stand with God
And I stand with His prophets.
Wherever I may go,
When I stand with God
I never stand alone

I stand with Nephi and Moroni,
With Abinadi, who testified in flames!
With saints through the ages,
Stalwart and faithful,
Leading me, telling me . . .

I never stand alone
When I stand with God
And I stand with His prophets.
Wherever I may go,
When I stand with God
I never stand alone


No comments: